For the first time in the history of a Christmas tree being placed on the National lawn at the U.S. Capitol, the tree is being given by the state of Wyoming, and we got to see it. Well, we almost didn't get to see it.
This morning I asked Kaitlyn if she wanted to go see a really big Christmas tree. Of course the answer was yes! She's been bugging me to set up our Christmas tree and I've been telling her not until after Thanksgiving. I can only deal with one holiday at a time. So, I thought it'd be nice to see the National Christmas tree when it drove through Gillette.
 |
| Kaitlyn was being shy and didn't want to sit with Santa |
Got the kids all dressed and ready, we arrived at the college around 4:30 pm, that's where it was going to be parked for a while before moving on, about 30 minutes after all the festivities and arrival of the tree. Or so I thought. We got down there, received our Gillette Christmas pin, and then was given the awful news. The tree is stuck in Wright due to the high winds and they weren't sure when it could get there. WHAT!?! As a consolation, if you could call it that, we had our picture taken with Santa, was given our teddy bears and candy canes and signed one of the posters that was going along with the tree to the Capitol.
Kaitlyn and I were heartbroken. I couldn't believe it, but I guess that's true Wyoming fashion. That D*MN WIND!!!! So I told Kaitlyn we'd have to come back later, not really thinking anything would come of it, or that we'd really even go out again.
After a chat with Mom, she suggested that there may be a websight tracking the tree. Good idea! After a quick search, sure enough there is a tree tracking sight! In the meantime Kaitlyn has asked a bouple of times if the tree has come yet. At about 7:00 pm I noticed it looked as if the tree could be in Gillette, that gives me an hour to get the kids ready and loaded into the truck and drive over to the college to see the tree.
 |
| Kaitlyn and the tree |
Kaitlyn was pretty excited, we got up to the really long covered trailer and peeked into the plexiglass window. It's a big tree! You can't see all of it just the tippy top and they put some little lights on what you could see, but it was still pretty neat. I pulled out my camera to take a picture and Kaitlyn wanted her camera so she could take a picture too. OH NO!! I forgot her camera. When we came earlier we packed it into my purse because Kaitlyn wanted to bring it. I had taken it out of my purse when we came home, along with all the other goodies we got when we were there. The second time around it was one of those, let's get ready and go now or we may miss it and I forgot her camera. Kaitlyn had a meltdown. She was just crying because she didn't have her camera. Fortunately, since it was late and they were getting close to shutting down the viewing, there weren't many people there. Well, the coordinator for the tree, Mary (I didn't realize it was her until I saw the blog
http://capitolchristmastree2010.blogspot.com/) came over and asked what was wrong and I explained the whole story and she felt bad. She has a daughter who just turned four, so she understood. She gave Kaitlyn a Wyoming Capitol Christmas tree pin. So, forgot the camera, but got a pin. Kaitlyn felt better, plus I let her take a picture with my camera. She also "signed" the side of the truck, or scribbled a little any way.
 |
| Kaitlyn took this picture |
 |
| Kaitlyn standing infront of her scribble |
 |
| I signed our names, poorly |
 |
| The trailer carrying the tree |
 |
| The truck |
 |
| Kaitlyn wearing her pins |
 |
| The Wyoming Christmas tree pin |
 |
| The Gillette Christmas pin |
Sorry about the pictures, they're not the greatest. It was cold and windy and dark and I was holding Keith.
Here's the sight for the tree
http://www.capitolchristmastree2010.org/
and here's where you can track the trees progress
http://www.trackthetree.com/
1 comment:
We didn't go on Tuesday because it was blizzarding and all the festivities were outside. Kind of sad that I missed it, but you got good pictures..So really I was there!
Post a Comment