Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Updates

Well, I know it's been a little while, but here we go again on updates.  I'm going to start with Maggie first and then do a separate blog for Halloween. 

Maggie is now 14 weeks old and is getting BIG fast.  A couple weeks ago she had her 12 week appointment and weighed 32 lbs.  She doubled her weight in 4 weeks and is healthy.  She's all up to date on her shots, rabies included.  She still loves to pester Duke.  She taught herself to ring the bell that I attached to the back door when she needs to potty.  It's been really interesting to watch her with Duke and her with the kids.

She's become better with the kids.  I took her to Grama and Papa's for Halloween the other day and she ran around with the kids without feeling like she needed to knock them over.  She loved to run around in all the leaves. 

Duke is getting increasingly more tolerant of her, though he still has his old man moments of back off and leave me alone. Our poor puppy is getting some grey hairs on his muzzle. He does seem to enjoy playing with her most of the time though.
Look at the little baby.


Duke was sharing his sun light this morning.
Now that winter is upon us, I get to reflect on how this year's garden did.  It did seem to do better this year than last, but I still didn't have any winter squash.  I was actually able to enjoy ripe tomatoes this year, which was soooo nice.  Lots of carrots, beets, and radishes.  Quite a few peppers this year, though they were still a little small, but the really smelly fish emulsion really helped boost the plants and production.  Green beans did well, the peas did great and got a surprise second harvest out of them.  The brokali (a broccoli/kale hybrid) did alright, the zucchini took a while to take off, but did get some fruit off of it.  The kale did great and tastes good.  I've decided I like kale as much as I like broccoli and I like broccoli quite a bit.  Got a few cucumbers, plenty of lettuce and some spinach.  All in all I'd say it was a pretty successful year.  Canned a lot of the stuff. 

Watermelon radish, really good tea sandwich.

This is a watermelon radish with a genetic quirk. 
It was the only purple one out of the whole bunch.

Candy stripe beets, LOVE THEM!!

I'm sorry, but not only am I a foodie, but I really love food that looks as beautiful as it tastes and when you grow it yourself it's icing on the proverbial cake.

One last remark.  I get a kick out of those Dos X commercials with the Most Interesting Man in the World.  I love this line: His words carry weight that would break a lesser man's jaw.  Someone was really thinking when they came up with that.  Makes me laugh every time. 

No comments: