We survived our trip to Wichita. We left on Thursday, May 7, after Jordan got off of work and made it to Cheyenne, where we stayed the night. On our way there we saw a turkey crossing the highway to get to another male turkey. It's mating season and there was going to be a fight. The other turkey was not happy to see him and fanned out his tail getting ready to go. It was kinda cool.
Friday, we drove all day long and made it to Wichita that night around 6:00 pm. I was happy that Nebraska seemed to fix most of the Interstate and it wasn't as bumpy as I remember from before. The bumps don't feel too good when you really have to pee. We did have to stop every three hours for me to use the potty and Kaitlyn to stretch her legs. She did really well and a portable DVD player and a good selection of movies are a sanity saver. When we were about 30 minutes outside of Wichita is when she started to throw a fit and said she was done.
Saturday, May 9, was the big graduation. That morning was spent decorating and getting food together for the Luau celebration after the ceremony. The ceremony went well and wasn't as long as I was expecting it to be, which was nice. Kaitlyn was a little tired and crabby, so we ended up leaving after Sis walked, but everyone else wasn't long behind us. The afterward celebration was good too. There was family and friends there, lots of food, a fire, and s'mores. Yes, Dad dug a fire pit in his backyard just for Sis. Fortunately, they get a lot of rain this time of year in Wichita and the ground was really wet.
Sunday we relaxed and celebrated Mother's Day. Monday we went to the zoo. Kaitlyn has been to a zoo three times in the past year. I think I'm dubbing this the year of zoos for her. This is the second time she's been to Sedgwick County Zoo. We took Nana (Mom) with us to show her around. We went to the Children's Farms area first because that was the only area that we missed the last time we were there. Kaitlyn got to feed fish and some goats. She really liked to feed the animals. About halfway through though she became crabby and wanting her blankie. Jordan took her back to the truck, while Sis and I took Mom around to see the rest of the zoo as quickly as we could. We stopped in the gift shop and bought Kaitlyn a shirt and Nana got her a stuffed lemur. I got a very large stuffed red-eyed tree frog. Awesome! We were really hoping that when we got to the truck Jordan and Kaitlyn would have been sleeping, but Kaitlyn was wide awake and running amok in the truck. Go figure!
Then the fun began. The rest of the week was spent planning and shopping for the wedding. Jordan and I did get some personal shopping done, but the rest of the time I was helping Mom and Sis shop, plan, and get ready for the wedding while Jordan stayed at Dad's and watched Kaitlyn so my stress didn't go any higher. Near the end of the week we had to get food ready and make sure there was a reception location and call people to let them know that the location had changed. It was crazy.
Saturday, May 16, was the big day. That morning we decorated the reception/wedding hall, then Sis and I went with her friend and other bridesmaid, Cassie, to have our hair done. From there we went to Dad's to get dressed and to get Kaitlyn ready. We ended up about a half hour late to the location, but we made it. Kaitlyn was going to walk down with me as the flower girl, but had fallen asleep during the 15 minutes it took to get to the hall, so she sat with Grama Carolyn and slept. Jordan was recruited to be best man when we got there, because the best man didn't show up. The ceremony was very nice and short, thankfully, because I don't know how long I could have stood there. I was the maid of honor if I didn't mention that. Not as many people showed up as we were expecting, but it was nice to see those that did. Sis had a couple of friends from high school come down for this and it was good to see them. We also had family come up from Florida for the wedding and it was nice to see them as well. The reception went well, there was good food and dancing and a good spice cake. Fortunately the celebration didn't go into the late hours of the night, because we were going to leave somewhat early the next morning.
Sunday morning is when we intended to leave, but we got up late and left early afternoon. We made it to North Platte, Nebraska and stayed the night there. Then made it the rest of the way home on Monday, after making a stop at the Cabela's in Sydney. Of course! It was really good to see all the family and help Sis celebrate these major milestones in life, but it was also really good to be home again. Now I have to catch up on everything that we missed while gone and plan for a 2nd birthday this weekend.
Congratulations once again to my little Sister for graduating with a bachelor's degree in Zoo Science and on the wedding. I hope you get everything from life that you want and need Mrs. Daryl Zaldibar. Good luck in all that you two do together.
3 comments:
Because the chicken was taking a lunch break..:)
Might want to mention the best man did not show because a close family member of his died.
Sounds like a busy time, but so much fun!
Post a Comment