Saturday, October 9, 2010

Updates

Wow!  I haven't posted anything in a while and sooo much has been going on lately. 


Kaitlyn has been going to preschool and after the first day has been enjoying it a lot.  She always shows me what she did immediately after we get home.  She seems to be doing really well.  She did happen to miss this week due to the cold she has and pink eye that she managed to catch.  She has only one more day of medication for the conjunctivitis (that's fun to say) and after the first dose she looked so much better.  Though her eyes never did turn pink, they were just goopy. 

We have hung Kaitlyn's artwork from school on the wall.  There really isn't any room on the fridge that is out of Keith's reach.  They did a few pictures with leaves and a sunfade picture.  They have worked on the letters A, B, C, and D.  Kaitlyn missed the D week.  She's really getting good and writing.  I even got her some new dry erase markers (finally) for her write and wipe books.  That's about all she did today was practice in those books. 

Keith is walking full time now and loving it.  He really seems to enjoy the fact that he can walk and carry something at the same time.  The other day he walked back-and-forth between the kitchen and the living room carrying and waiving a kitchen towel, giggling.  He also has another tooth, a molar, and from the looks of things at least one more on the way.  He likes a lot of the food I cook too.  One of the two that will appreciate my cooking. 


As for me, I have been harvesting the garden, canning anything that is in complete abundance, and making all kinds of sausage out of the tons of ground elk that we still have.  I had an overage of green tomatoes this year.  I only had a couple of tomatoes actually turn.  Not happy.  So, all the green tomatoes were either fried, pickled, or turned into relish.  The relish is actually pretty good and fried is always tasty.  I haven't been able to try the pickled ones yet, they have to marinate a few months first.  I also pickled some green beans.  My green bean plants this year just kept pumping them out.  We actually ate the last green beans of the season with dinner tonight.  I'm also thinking about pickling some of the swiss chard, it just grows and grows and the cold doesn't bother it. 

As for the sausage, with hunting season upon us and Jordan heading into the mountains to hopefully bring home another one and we still have a bunch of meat left from last year, most of it ground.  So I've been making sausages:  italian, summer, brats, some meatballs at some point, jerky more than likely.  We have a ton.  We didn't make as much sausage throughout the year as we usually do.  I've also been smoking the goose that was left over from last year.

Kaitlyn and I also made some luminary/lantern things to get us in the mood for Halloween.  It also helped to use up some of the vases that I was going to get rid of.  Kaitlyn helped to paint on the Mod Podge and she picked out the faces for the pumpkins and ghost.  I'm using the flameless tealight candles in them.  We don't need to have fire around the kids.

Also, a big Happy Birthday to Mom.  Your birthday snuck up on me this year with everything that's been going on, but I hope you have a great one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the video...couldn't stop laughing! Love the idea for the vases as well. I'll have to call later and get the tutorial!

Clare said...

Thanks Sheena!!